Monday, February 5, 2007

Back at last

In some ways, it seems last season finished just a few weeks ago. In other ways, last season seems like it was eons ago. When I see Francisco Palencia kneeling with Pumas for a team shot before the game, last season feels like so long ago. But when I think about how Preki danced circles around us media hacks at the media game, that seems like it was yesterday.

Regardless, preseason has finally started. Today was rather enjoyable in that sense. I made it to Chivas USA training about an hour into it and caught several of their 7-on-7 short-sided games. Then, I talked to some of the players as well as Preki before I walked with Andrea to the Galaxy training session. It's funny because the Galaxy trained on the main field at HDC. They are probably just preparing for the inevitable media crush that will happen when Becks gets here this summer.

Anyway, talking to Galaxy and Chivas players was great. The winter is finally over for me and now I can take solace in the fact that the Galaxy and Chivas will be training nearly every day from now until November.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a tease! You tell us you talked to the Chivas USA players, but you don't say who, and what about. You're killing me...at least throw a bone! C'mon... so much has changed for them (again), and yet there isn't enough coverage to quench my thirst! I beg you...details baby! Details! Obie One Kenobi (Luis) you're my only hope! That is until the program "Somos Chivas USA," starts again! So one question for you Luis who do you think the new captain will be now that my Paco ::sniff,sniff,wipes tear away:: is gone. I think it will be Claudio Suarez, who do you think it will be and why?

L.B. said...

Hi Sally. I hadn't had too much time yet to transcribe all my interviews and write all my stories but I managed to talk to Claudio Suarez and Preki at length and talked to a few others like Brad Guzan and Miguel Zepeda briefly. I actually wanted to say hi and talk to Jesse Marsch. He's an awesome guy but I was in the middle of talking to Claudio when Jesse walked by and I didn't want to interrupt Claudio. You don't interrupt Claudio. You just don't.

I can't say for sure but I would be surprised if Claudio Suarez was not wearing the captain's armband at the start of the season. The only way I see someone else wearing it is if Ramon Ramirez comes back healthy but that is a giant IF.

I miss Paco too :(