Monday, July 9, 2007

Debate rages on in PE

I decided to discuss the U.S.-Mexico debate in my Press-Enterprise column, which will run tomorrow. I actually just finished it and am getting set to file.

Every now and then I have a Top 10 list to accompany the column. This time, I chose to rank the Top 10 all-time U.S./Mexico accomplishments so readers can kind of gauge who has done what.

I've got some World Cup finishes on there (US '02 World Cup quarters), some tournament victories (Mexico 99 Confederations Cup title) and other tournament finishes as well.

Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone would try and see what finishes are better than others. I won't reveal my entire list but my top three consists of (in chronological order) Mexico's 1986 World Cup quarterfinal appearance, Mexico's 1999 Confederations Cup title and the United States' 2002 World Cup quarterfinal appearance. I think one of those three is more meaningful than others.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i would include that youth world cup title Mexico won (u-17s?)

Anonymous said...

US fan here but biggest is:
Mexico's Confederations Cup win because it was an actual trophy not a placement.

Anonymous said...

1993 Copa America

Mexico reaching the final of the 1993 Copa America.

This was the turning point not only in Mexico's history, but in CONCACAF's history.

Anonymous said...

Confederation Cup in 99 is #1
Mexico winning the U-17 is #2 because of the fact that we are still waiting to see what it will translate to in future World Cup competitions.
Hopefully if Mexico can win this years Copa America that will become the new #1.