Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Beloved Barquisimeto

I hadn't kept up with Neil and the Studio 90 gang, so I just caught their most recent edition, part of which focused on the team's move to Barquisimeto.

I'm not surprised, however, that people there were especially friendly and helpful (see how the equipment guys were amazed at how many people pitched in to help them unload).

My best friend is Venezuelan (Hi Becky!), and I went to visit her once in her home town of Barquisimeto. She lives in Florida now, but she still has family in Barquisimeto and was spending the summer there when I stopped by for a week.

When I was over there, Hugo Chavez was merely running for office and a lot of people didn't like him, saying he was a bully who wouldn't work together with other officials for the greater good.

Anyway, just like others around the world shouldn't judge all Americans by the fact that Bush was elected, neither should Venezuelans all be assumed to be fans of Chavez.

So props to the U.S. fans who went to Copa America - that took courage, an open mind and loyalty.

Money, too, yeah. I'd have gone if not for that.

No comments: