Saturday, February 3, 2007

Not giving up


There are a lot of Eddie Johnson detractors. Frankly, given his play over the past year or so, I can't really argue against them.

However, I am still in the pro-EJ camp. The kid's got skills and he's still young and yet to reach his potential.

I don't know what the answer is. I don't follow him close enough to know what ails him or what the best remedy is to get him back on track. But he did too much in a short period of time to call him a flash in the pan. He was simply awesome for the U.S. in the 2001 U-17 WC on an otherwise dismal team performance. He did well at the U-20 level and tore apart the competition in 2004-2005 for the US. Benfica wanted him and MLS said no.

To think that he's lost everything and is just a lost cause now is, well, something I'm not buying. Me neither.

No comments: