Thursday, February 1, 2007

The future

I got called in kinda last minute to cover some prep soccer for The Press-Enterprise. It's a nice change of pace from my other, non-writing job so I jumped at it. I covered the Corona-Corona Centennial game for the PE on Wednesday night. Aside from the biting cold, it was an enjoyable affair, actually better than I'd thought it would be.

There was a lot more color in the stands than I had anticipated. The last high school soccer game I went to was virtually dead in the stands and I expected the same. However, as the game started a large group of students assembled in the stands at midfield. They soon started to chant the familiar albeit customized chants.

Dale, Dale Corona, esta noche tenemos que ganar
Dale, Dale Corona, esta noche tenemos que ganar

I must say, I was impressed. They were chanting differently throughout the match, all familiar chants I'd heard at games before. Most in the group were Spanish speakers and chanted fluidly between Spanish and English.

Corona won the game and afterward the supporters section spilled out on to the field and celebrated mosh-pit style with the team chanting "Ole, ole ole ole, ole, ole"

I saw a few soccer teams represented in the stands. Chivas and America, of course, as well as Chivas USA. I wore my Galaxy beanie so I guess that counts.

Hopefully those youths turn their attention to MLS in the not-so-distant future, if they haven't already. Those clubs could use the support.

No comments: