Friday, February 9, 2007

Finishing

A colleague of mine was chatting with another reporter after most of us had filed our stories on Wednesday night (or was it Thursday morning by that point?).

Anyway, the colleague was talking about Donovan's breakaway. He said something like this (and I'm paraphrasing):

"If you had any Mexican forward in that position, they would not have scored that goal. Borgetti would not have scored. Kikin would not have scored. Omar Bravo would not have scored."

Was he putting down Mexicans? Trash talking? Showing blatant bias?

My colleague has covered Mexico in World Cups, is Mexican and writes for a Spanish-speaking newspaper.

2 comments:

A.C. said...

I know of whom you speak, and he told me before the game that he was worried about Mexico, thinking the score would be 2-1 in favor for the US, which surprised me.
I told him I felt the opposite scoreline was probably more likely, and predicted a tie.

Anonymous said...

Who said that? The Mexican Jamie Trecker?