Sunday, April 8, 2007

Post-game Toronto

My AP editor had asked me to write an optional on the game yesterday to include things about the club's first game and the like. For AP, I really wanted to get some good stuff about the team and their thoughts on the first game. I knew I was short on time so I had asked Danny to help me out with some quotes and he later passed along some good stuff from Jim Brennan and Greg Sutton. Still, I wanted to get Mo Johnston right off the bat and ask him a question or two.

As soon as the locker rooms opened (about 10 minutes after the end of the game) I walked quickly past Chivas' locker room, down the tunnel and toward Toronto FC. I saw Mo Johnston standing there and I was about to talk to him but then realized he was waiting to do a TV interview with FSC. Christian Miles was there with Mo and some producer stopped me cold. He motioned to Christian and the interview was on. It was lame. I was expecting some questions about the significance of the match but nothing. Just straight game questions.

The producer stopped Alecko Eskandarian from going past as well. Alecko and I stood shoulder to shoulder waiting for the lame interview to be over. I tried to make eye contact with Alecko but he just kinda looked straight down and looked a bit irritated.

Once it was over, we all shuffled into the locker room. There were probably 10-12 scribes there by that time. We talked to Mo first but again most of the questions were about the game. I asked a question about the significance of the match but he was too focused on the game. It was waste of time for me. I should have just gone straight to the Chivas locker room.

Well, it wasn't a complete waste of time. I decided to post the audio clip here in hopes that someone would enjoy listening to it.

No comments: