Saturday, April 21, 2007

Where's the crowd?

Tonight I'll be at the Chivas USA-Real Salt Lake match at Home Depot Center. I'm a pretty bad prognosticator when it comes to scores but I think I'll take a shot at tonight's attendance here. I'm guessing there will be between 8,000-12,000 fans there, which is pretty bad.

In the past, they were practically giving tickets away. This season, they have the Chiva Pass that allows you to get kids tickets for free with the purchase of an adult ticket. It's just the latest in an attempt to lure fans out to games.

Anyway, I don't want to get into it too much here but I'll have something about it in the coming days on how they completely dropped the ball on their efforts to build a strong fan base.

In the meantime, I'll enjoy MLS action with a solid 8,000-12,000 hearty supporters tonight.

3 comments:

J.S. said...

Preaching to the choir. I'll be there with my familiy. We need to honest about the fickleness of Mexican and Latino soccer fans. Chivas USA is missing a player that these fans can identify with. I'm all about the team so I don't care, I just want to see them win. Chivas fans are another story. I'm starting to feel that CUE and VERGARA are out of touch with SoCal soccer fans. All this changes once Chivas USA starts piling up the wins. This team HAS to win the MLS cup 'cause it's only going to get worse. Getting Zidane changes nothing. Getting Marquez or Roberto Carlos is something. 8k or 12k I'll be there.

Anonymous said...

I was disappointed in their opening night attendance. I expected more since the Galaxy have raised their ticket prices. In all honestly, I think Chivas USA are playing a better brand of footy. I know I am going to catch more Chivas USA games than Galaxy due to ticket prices.

Anonymous said...

I think everyone needs to be patient. MLS has finally started moving in the right direction, getting better players, TV exposure, etc. I think the fans will come if the league continues down this path.

I do agree that at this stage, Chivas is playing a much more entertaining style of futbol than Galaxy. I wonder if their match-up would ever raise to the intensity of the Lakers-Clippers derby.