Thursday, April 26, 2007

Superduperclassico

Like Luis, I've covered every Galaxy/Chivas match. My personal favorite was the Galaxy 2-1 comeback win, which was incredible in terms of sheer drama.

I rode in the elevator with Jesse Marsch after that game. "Damn Landon," he complained to a quiet Ante Razov. "I thought I had him covered on that play, but somehow, he was able to get up and head the ball." (Jesse was referring to Landon's assist on the tying goal.)

Still, out of all the goals I've seen scored in the derby, the most impressive ones were the pair Ante scored last year when Chivas finally won. Both were absolute jaw-dropping finishes.

While I think the Chivas USA/Galaxy rivalry would still be heated and in some ways, even more special if Chivas USA had claimed a nearby city, such as San Diego or San Bernardino, as their base, I really enjoy the local rivalry and I have from the first contest.

It's great to see the colors for both teams out, and fans reacting to every play on the field. No good local fan is ever going to cheer a goal by the opposition, but as someone who appreciates the beautiful game in general, it's always nice to see deserving goals by either team get their cheers.

Plus, the energy at matches where the fans care so much about the outcome is amazing, especially since Chivas USA fans have pushed the normally docile LA Galaxy fans to be more vocal and demonstrative.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I work in San Berdoo, and so I have to ask - - what makes you think that San Bernardino would be the home of Chivas USA? (Obviously, there are tons of their fan base here, but where would they play?)

- Topper

Unknown said...

I work around San Bernardino, so I have to ask, what makes you think that ChivasUSA would locate in SAn Berdoo, besides the fact that there are tons of their fan base living in/around SB?

A.C. said...

Chivas USA had has a soccer school based out there for a while, and financial studies have shown that San Bernadino could financially support an MLS team.

Land in the area for a stadium would be much cheaper, and there's stil quite a bit available for a stadium. A CSDH-like deal could be worked out with CSSB. Basically, the IE, (I've put in my time there as well) has a whole lot of nothing going on, and I think they'd really embrace soccer if they had a chance to claim a team as their own.

Anonymous said...

Metropolitan city size
Riverside-Sanbernadino-Ontario #14 pop over 4 million

Columbus #32 1.7 million I think we could support a team here