Monday, April 16, 2007

As official as it gets

My SI colleague Gregory Sica reports here that the Guillermo Barros Schelotto deal to Columbus is done.

For those in Southern California, the Crew will play at the Galaxy on June 23 and at Chivas USA on July 14. I'll have those dates circled on my calendar.

(I can't believe I just said I'll circle Crew games as ones to watch)

In all seriousness, when I first started covering the Galaxy and MLS, I looked forward to Crew games. I remember one Crew-Galaxy game where I believe the score was 3-0 and Brian McBride and Stern John had awesome performances. That was the first time I'd interviewed McBride and I was in awe at the time. I was like 'Hey, you're Brian McBride.' It was fun watching the Crew back in the day.

I can't say the same for Saturday's 0-0 game in Salt Lake. I sat through that disaster in hopes of a goal that never came. Eddie Gaven hit the post though so that was something but overall they looked as imposing as a flower patch.

EDIT: My bad on the July 17 date. Yes, of course, the Galaxy plays Tigres on the 17th and Chelsea on the 21st. I definitely have those days circled on my calendar. I should just circle the whole damn month.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Crew @ CDC is the 14th.;) The 17th is Tigres @ Galaxy. You'll be at both I'm sure, anyway.

Anonymous said...

For being a Boca Juniors fan, being able to watch Guillermo play in the MLS will be amazing. I am looking forward when the Crew come into town!

Anonymous said...

I hope Schelotto's theatrics are appreciated in the MLS. It's possible he gets labeled a 'diver' and gets a rough treatment from the fans over here.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the personality he brings to the field.