Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Not your average Joe

I'd written before that Joe Cannon had some big shoes to fill in LA, after Kevin Hartman's long tenure. Galaxy goalkeeper coach Tim Hanley ribbed me about that a bit, given Cannon's own impressive accomplishments even before joining the squad.

Tim didn't pass up an opportunity to make his point clear when I ran across him today. He asked if I'd seen the game versus Houston and then before I even had a chance to answer, told me how well Cannon had played.

Frank Yallop, the Galaxy's coach, agreed.

"He played very well. You don’t want to compare different players – what we do have, or don’t have. All I know is that Joe is an aggressive, alert goalkeeper who played a good game on Sunday. Our back four looked settled with him behind us. I think that was important. I think the early save (in the game) helped Joe. I’m happy with him. He’s looked sharp in training, but it’s nice to see him in a game and doing well in that match."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's there to get antsy about saying that he has big shoes to fill? Hartman was a huge part of the Galaxy. So his absence is a big one.

The fact that Joe is considered by many folks to be a better keeper and will likely be able to fill those shoes admirably is a separate issue all together.

This is like LB's stats about US vs. Mexican clubs. It's just a fact, and writing it doesn't indicate that you side with any certain interpretation of those facts.

A.C. said...

I think it's more of a running joke with Hanley than anything else. He's a kidder.

But I agree with your take, and I don't regret what I wrote. Hartman was a key Galaxy player and a fan favorite for a long time.