Thursday, April 12, 2007

Herculez, Herculez, Herculez

After I finished writing up my article on MLS granting certain players uniform exceptions and others not, I had a few leftover Herculez Gomez quotes. So if there's any Colorado Rapids fans checking out the blog, enjoy.

Herculez

On moving to the midfield and taking on 10 as his new number:

“I want to change – I want to be a different player. Coach wants me to play midfield; he wants me to play winger. I want to be that player who takes people on, who is quick with the dribble, who is going to use his feet, who is going to have that nose for goal. There are players all around the world who do that and I want to be that guy. It just so happened that number 10 was available and I thought that this could be a really big challenge for me. Accepting this number is a big responsibility. This is the year that I want to change things not only for myself, but in the city of Denver, Colorado. I think great things are happening here and people are starting to take notice. It’s definitely a big responsibility, but one that I feel I’m up for.”

On joining Colorado:

“I’ve got a great group of guys here. Everybody here is just awesome, They roll up their sleeves and they get down to it. They’re full of grit and full of heart. There’s a great feeling, being on a team that’s full of passion.”

On any #10s that he admires:

“I definitely look up to Diego Maradona, how he handled the ball. Anything he wanted to do, he could do. These days, I enjoy watching Cristiano Ronaldo. I’m trying to study the guy and pick up things. He’s just so exciting and a joy to watch. Players like that – that people like to watch, is the player that I want to be. I know it’s going to take a lot of work. It’s going to take a whole new mental thing, restructuring the way I’ve been taught as a forward into working as a midfielder, but I’ve got good people around me that are helping me do that.”

No comments: