Friday, June 8, 2007

Reader exchange

A lot of times I stay neutral when I get letters from readers who are outraged about something, because I don't see the point in arguing with anyone who clearly seems like their mind is solidly made up.

Also, I respect opinions, even the ones I don't agree with. People see things from different perspectives all the time. It's a big, crazy world. Homogeneity is boring.

As far as emails go, I also don't have the time to always respond (clearly, I'm busy with my blog) or I'll forget to do so, or a letter will get misfiled or even deleted not-so-accidentally, especially when the subject line reads, "One chance only!" or "Buy meds now." or "Lottery winner".

Anyway, here's a recent exchange.

Andrea,

Despite a dominate performance in the first half, it is painfully obvious that the U.S. is not ready for physical football. Much like when we played the Czech Republic , all an opponent has to do is give us a few hard tackles, then draw some fouls, and the next thing you know we’re flustered. It’s a good time to learn how to do play against physical teams because the Copa America will have plenty more where that came from. As good as the team looked technically, and we looked pretty solid (crisp passes in midfield, consistent service into the box in the first half, and shooting when they see the net), none of that matters when we’re drawing yellows and getting taken out of our game. The boys need to hit the weight room before the Confederations Cup (fingers crossed).

Gooch gets a bad wrap from the media and refs. This could be psychoanalyzed as people being afraid of the big black guy. Twice I heard the commentators mention that Onyewu seemed like an angry person, or that he let his anger get the best of him. I couldn’t help but rewind and watch the play again to see this apparent “anger” the mentioned. Please go back and look at the second yellow card the gave Gooch and you tell me, was it the foul or the reaction that earned him that second card? Because I looked at the foul for almost five minutes, over and over, and it definitely did not seem like he fouled anyone, and his reaction was not more than Ruiz or Donovan when they flopped around on the ground for almost a minute. I think it’s the token big black guy that getting demonized on the pitch for running over the little guys who usually make it a point to bounce off of guys like him. Granted, it’s a game plan, and one of the few ways to even the playing field when the size difference is so great, but you have to admit that refs often make calls against him they would not make against someone like John Terry who is a bit smaller (but more technical). Please tell me that I am not crazy and that someone thinks that Gooch is getting a bad wrap unfairly.

I know you’ll end up watching the game a few more times for analysis, please, if it’s not too much trouble, look for any signs that he looses his temper, or even looks angry. I watched the game with my little sister and she had no idea what the commentators were talking about when they say he was angry. She asked “who are they talking about [when the commentators said he looked angry]” and I told her Gooch (and pointed him out), to which she said “what are they talking about that guy doesn’t seem angry, he seems fed up.” I couldn’t have put it better myself.

I know you don’t usually write me back (I’ve sent you like 4 emails throughout the past year to which you replied to one, no big deal, I know you’re busy) but please, let me know what you think about Onyewu’s demonization on the pitch.

------
Dear Reader,

I don't think Gooch is really demonized. I think that one person's "fed up" is another person's "angry".

He was definitely unhappy. You don't motion the score to the fans while walking off the field unless there's some bitterness there.

I'm not going to do a lot of analysis, but I will say that his coach, Bob Bradley, seemed somewhat disappointed in Gooch. He specifically said there were too many fouls given up, and that a player with a yellow card needs to be more careful and smart about plays.

He did, however, note that Onyewu is used to playing in a more physical league, and that he could be having some trouble adjusting to the fouls that are called in CONCACAF.

A

4 comments:

J.S. said...

"He's used to playing in more phyiscal league" is cop out by Bob. Onyewu has played in Europe for a while now. He just got a taste of reality in the EPL. I understand the "work in progress" label, but at what point does he stop being that and just overated?
My hope is that someday he becomes regarded as Maldini, Roberto Carlos, or John Terry. At this point, he's just regressing.

Anonymous said...

Being specific to the FSC broadcasters, they did make Gooch sound like he was on some kind of rampage. We even took issue with what they said.

That said, however, I do agree with you. He looked frustrated, he let the rough play get to him, and he committed a stupid foul in getting that 2nd yellow card. My personal feeling is that he should come back to MLS, and get his feet grounded again.

The new Quakes will need a defender. :)

Anonymous said...

I agree with both...Gooch gets a bad rap at times..and he is to blame for some of that.

i thought the second yellow was deserved and stupid on Gooch's part.

Not sure on the first...

Anonymous said...

gooch's first yellow i am still unclear about, but the second was not only deserved, but dumb. he had cover, there was no need to duck his should into the attacker, especially with a yellow already. gooch plays too much with his hands and not enough with his feet. he gets called for a lot of fouls because he fouls alot, mostly due to poor positioning. he is still young and learning, and I think he still needs a better role model on how to be a big physical defender. the big scary black man bit is silly, and shouldnt even have been mentioned.