Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Papi's new do

Maykel Galindo cut all of his hair off. I'm not sure I like it yet but perhaps it'll grow on me.

I have an interview scheduled for Thursday with him. I've talked to him many times before but not yet about his travails about defecting. I've been anxious to talk to him about it and the opportunity finally presented itself.

Perhaps I'll ask him about his countrymen who also defected. Lester More and Osvlado Alonso split sometime before the game against Honduras.

(thanks to Joel for the link)

3 comments:

A.C. said...

In the now infamous, late lamented interview still trapped in my lost digital recorder, Maykel talked to me about the possibility of other Cuban players following his lead. He seemed to be excited about the possibility and said he hoped that he would inspire them to do just that, if it was their wish.

I wonder if he knew something.

By the way, I hate the word "defection" to describe the difficult choice and action Galindo took. There should be something more noble to describe it, because "defection" is way too close to "defective" or "defecation".

The Beautiful Game said...

nooooooooo maykel! he's already a legend up here in the seattle soccer community

Unknown said...

Ives Galarcep and I just talked about the fact that someone needs to do the proper feature on him. I hope that is what you have planned.