Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Surprising visitors

The last time the U.S. played a meaningful game out here in SoCal was... hmmm... can't remember. Don't know for sure. I think it was the 2002 CONCACAF Gold Cup final against Costa Rica. I know they've only played here a handful of times since then here and none of them - as far as I can remember - were anything but friendlies.

Off the top of my head, I recall one game in 2006 (US-Norway) and another if you include San Diego (US-Canada), one in 2005 (US-Colombia), one in 2004 (US-Denmark) and uh, my memory is hazy from 2003.

Anyway, it will be nice for the US to play here. I guess I was expecting Mexico out here but they got games in New York and Houston so those stadiums should generate more revenue than games in Carson.

For the record, the US-Guatemala and US-Trinidad games will be played at Home Depot Center on Thursday, June 7 and Saturday, June 9.

1 comment:

Zathras said...

You know, of the 105 home games the USMNT has played in the last 10 years, 29 have been in California? A further six have been in the Pacific North West, and another 5 have been in Texas, Arizona or New Mexico.

The East Coast has gotten 32, plus a further 19 in Florida or the southland.

By contrast, the Midwest, where the clost venue to me is a good eight hours away has received 14 games, the majority of which (8) have been in Columbus, which could arguably fall into the Eastern category.

I'm afraid I don't have much sympathy for you.