Monday, March 26, 2007

Random thoughts

We've been having a good amount of traffic coming through here. For any of our newer readers, please feel free to explore the archives. I think this is post number 740 or something like that so we have a lot to say about a lot of different things. Also, I post in blue and Andrea posts in green.

Oh yeah, had a question to throw out there. My wife and I often debate about it. I've visited the following states: California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Nevada, Utah, Idaho, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Georgia and Florida. The last two were actually states I made layovers in (I flew Ontario-->Atlanta--->Frankfurt and San Diego--->Miami--->Trinidad & Tobago). I count those as states visited because I got off the plane, walked around the airport and got on another plane. My wife says they should not count because I was just at an airport.

So I leave it to our trusty readers. Do I count Georgia or Florida or not? A lot's riding on this...

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Layovers don't count...sorry L.B.

Anonymous said...

It depends on the airport. Most airports are generic and interchangeable, so it's impossible to even realize where you are. Those shouldn't count since there's little local flavor.

Some airports I've passed through like Vegas (with slot machines) and Fort Lauderdale (airy concourse with a bar in a tropical shack motif near my departure gate) certainly allow you to say you've experienced some local flavor.

buenovi said...

No way it counts. Good try but you're reasoning is awful here.

A.C. said...

It counts if your layover is long enough that you leave the airport and do something in the actual local city. On my way to Spain, I had a six-hour layover in Atlanta. I took the bus to downtown, went through the Coca-Cola museum, ate a sandwich in Centennial Olympic Park and rode the elevator in the Turner building to look at the view. Atlanta has a big underground mall where I puttered around for a while (I'm not a big shopper). But it doesn't count if you just stay inside the airport the whole time.

Longshoe said...

Next layover in Atlanta you can hang out with the Cupcakes crew, we'll help you make Georgia count.

I'm with the rest, unless you leave the airport, I don't think you can count it...

L.B. said...

See, my reasoning was that if I was out and able to mingle with the locals, then it counted but if I sat on the runway or even walked through a terminal right to the next plane it didn't count.

Next time I'm passing through the Hartsfield-Jackson Airport, I'll make sure and go to the Brewhouse to officially count Georgia. For now, I'll put an asterisk next to it.

Hops said...

airports dont count. everyone knows that. you have to at least step outside.

Anonymous said...

No way a layover counts, especially if you didn't leave the airport.

My rule is that I've only 'been' somewhere if I've eaten some of the local food at a local restaurant. And hotdogs always count as local food when in doubt.

Fried clams on Cape Cod, Chicago dog in Chicago, bbq in much of the south, a taquería in southern california, etc. When you've sat shoulder to shoulder with the locals, eating what they eat then you've visited a place.

Anonymous said...

The only way it would be even remotely okay (but with a serious * to the side) is an international layover where you had to pass through customs and, thus, got the passport stamped.

Alas, this isn't the CCCP and travel between regions isn't controlled.

You have to get outside of the confines of the airport -- at least that's what my wife and I have agreed upon.

brucio said...

yeah, sorry luis, touch and goes dont count amigo

L.B. said...

So I've been overwhelmed here. I think the count is 0-8 not in favor of me, actually 0-7 with one "it depends."

A landslide loss. I guess I'll have to stop counting Georgia and Florida.

:(