Sunday, March 25, 2007

Daddy's boy

Michael Bradley made an impression on me the first time we met. It was the final game of the 2005 MLS season, and Chivas USA, though out of the playoffs for some time, came out pumped to win at home and at least avoid the mess of being the team with the worst record in the league. They faced the then-New York MetroStars, a team on the verge of missing the playoffs as well.

Only a win would place them in front of the Kansas City Wizards for the final spot in the postseason. The New York squad was reeling from the abrupt firing of coach Bob Bradley by general manager Alexi Lalas. Mo Johnston was in charge now and the New York faithful were hoping Amado Guevara would get inspired to perform well.

Tony Meola showed up big-time in this match, making double digit saves, but I also kept my eye on the tall, serious-looking kid in the midfield.

How tough, I wondered, must it be to play your hardest for a team that has just terminated your father as coach?

I watched carefully for any sign of uninspired play from young Bradley, waiting for a lack of hustle, a reluctance to tackle, perhaps.

Zilch. Michael wasn't the most dominant player on the field, but he was working hard and he kept making good decisions to help his team.

Early in the second half of the scrappy game, Michael had a good following run into the box to get on the end of a Mark Lisi cross. Michael headed the ball into the goal for his first-ever MLS tally.

The goal would prove to be the winning one, sending the Metrostars to the playoffs. That's got to be a little bittersweet, I thought as I walked down to interview the players. Michael had probably imagined that his first goal in the league would be one he'd celebrate with his dad.

I stationed myself by the player tunnel, hoping to get immediate post-game thoughts from Michael. I've found that players are sometimes more candid when the effort of the match is still fresh in their minds. I had my pad and pen at the ready.

"Michael, Michael," I called out when he came walking by. I hadn't interviewed him before, since I'd been on another assignment when the Metros had played the Galaxy that year.

Michael glanced up and then walked over, taking my pen from my hand. Startled, it took me second to realize that he was going to sign an autograph for me.

"No - I mean, I want to ask you a couple of questions," I said, holding up my press credential.

Now it was Michael's turn to look a little surprised. He returned my pen and nodded, though he seemed a bit wary.

"Is it hard to focus on playing well for the team after they've just fired your dad?" I blurted.

Michael looked a little pained, but he answered.

“A bunch of guys have said it – he’s still with us. We’re representing him and his system. "

I thought about what Michael said today, watching him play after his dad sent him into the game against Ecuador. I thought about the pressure that must be inherant when your father is on interim status and every match puts the both of you under the microscope.

I think both Bradleys represented well.

No comments: