Saturday, March 24, 2007

Cobi and Eric

It's pretty amazing that two players who became a couple of the most important cogs in the U.S. national team hailed from the same high school, but that's exactly what happened with Cobi Jones and Eric Wynalda.

When asked to recall those Westlake High days in terms of Eric's influence on him, Cobi's response highlighted what may have been an important factor behind the success of both players.

"I think Eric had an impact because of the fact that he was so well known that coaches that came to see him got to see me as well. That was good for a lot of players out of Westlake High School. It was good to see someone above me doing so well and bringing in all that recognition. He was the big star. Actually, Eric’s dad had more impact on me than probably anyone, because he was the coach and he taught me a lot about the game. I appreciated Mr. Dave Wynalda."

No comments: