Saturday, March 31, 2007

Paring down my picks

I've not yet decided who I'm going to pick to win the conferences and the MLS Cup champion. Last year, I called it and picked Houston to win the cup (I even had them beating New England!) in the preseason. Of course, I jumped off their bandwagon before the playoffs started, actually I can't remember who I picked but I might have picked Chicago.

Anyway, my first thoughts for the Western Conference: Houston has a good chance of repeating. I really like Colorado and what they did to improve. I'm a big Herculez Gomez supporter and I think he'll shine in Colorado. Chivas didn't make much noise but they have a good foundation. The Galaxy has a killer schedule but a good team nonetheless. Dallas and Salt Lake made changes but have a lot to overcome. It's easy to go with the chalk and pick Houston. I'll have to figure out my picks here in the next couple of days.

East: I think Columbus will be bad, again. Toronto has the makings of a decent club. I like Ronnie O'Brien and with Mulrooney also there, they'll have some good players. D.C. made a lot of changes to a team that had the most points in the league. It's hard imagining New York as being one of the league's best teams but then again it's hard imagining that this New York team will struggle with Bruce Arena at coach and Claudio Reyna at midfield. Goals will be hard to come by, though. New England remains strong. Kansas City doesn't excite me. Chicago should be solid yet again.

Well, there you go. My off-the-cuff thoughts on the season. I'll come back later in the week with some more informed opinions.

No comments: