Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Arash and Cobi

Two cool cats. Arash Markazi has a neat job, as he covers the glamour of the sports scene. It hasn't gone to his head, because he's a nice guy, as well.

Which means he's probably more suited to the society life than I am, since I tend to blurt stuff out that can get taken the wrong way. For example, I actually met Arash a while back at a big NIKE event, back when they were launching their "joga" campaign. Drinks were free and waiters circulated with trays of food. Incidently, Cobi Jones was there as well, mingling. I was drinking my fave - caipirinhas - and talking with Grant Wahl when Arash came by to say hello to his SI colleague. Grant introduced us.

The problem with free caipirinhas is, well, they're yummy, and you don't realize how many you've had.

"I read your articles a lot," I told Arash. "That Ronaldo piece, wow, what a big score to get to talk to him."

Arash was modest. "I was really excited to get that one."

There was a lot of noise in the club-like setting of event, so I leaned forward. "Yeah, I thought it was kind of a boring interview."

Grant laughed and looked shocked at the same time. "I can't believe you just said that. Wow, you don't hold back, do you?"

Thing is, I hadn't meant it as a knock against Arash - I was trying to commiserate a little about how sometimes big-time players are so guarded that they never say anything the least bit interesting in conversation. They're too careful, and it makes it tough for reporters because there's no personality in their answers any more. Arash had asked good questions and tried to follow up, but Ronaldo hadn't given him much to work with, in my opinion. Of course, it's impossible to try to convey all that and apologize at the same time when DJ's are blaring thier combination tracks, but Arash was cool.

This time, I was sober, and I introduced Arash to his SI colleague, Luis. We laughed about how they both work for SI.com and yet had never met.

Arash asked how we thought things might change covering the Galaxy after Beckham arrives.

"They might set up that overflow press box again." Luis said. "I guess you didn't see it, unless you were here at the Real Madrid game when Beckham came then."

"I was here," said Arash.

"Where?" I asked, since I hadn't seen him in the press box.

"Well, um, I was invited to one of the box suites," Arash admitted. "But I didn't want to say anything."

We laughed again, as I was thinking back to how crowded the press box had been, and how they'd run out of food and coffee, the lifeblood of reporters.

I also teased Arash about the Dwayne Wade phone he's sporting in the photo here with Cobi. I'm sure Arash got it as a freebie at another one of those swanky events he covers.

We had fun with the Sidekick, though, as Arash was texting SI soccer editor Jonah Freedman and saying hi from all of us LA folk to the Bay Area boy.

No comments: