Tuesday, March 13, 2007

First story

For my weekly Press-Enterprise column, I'd decided to write about the CONCACAF Champions Cup. I figured since Houston was in town I could talk to Dominic Kinnear myself and get his perspective on the series and the history between MLS and Mexican sides here. So I did as planned and wrote that story up for this week's column.

Then, SI asked me if I could do the same. I usually write stuff every other Friday but they have something big planned for Friday so I had the option of writing on the CCC for Tuesday. Cool. No problem.

Sometimes, it's difficult writing the same thing for different places. But for the PE, I try and write to an audience that is not necessarily as soccer-savvy as the online audience. I don't insult the soccer-savvy PE readers either. For instance, I don't always describe what CONCACAF is or even repeat the long-winded title every time out. I also use terms like "cap" and "friendly" instead of "international game" and "exhibition" a term that I personally despise. Exhibition, to me, implies that the players are going through the motions but that's not the case in soccer.

Anyway, I ran into a 40-something-year-old teacher on Friday who said she reads my stuff all the time and there was another reader who I got the chance to talk to recently as well. I just try and balance it out, which is difficult sometimes.

Still, I think I got my point across in both articles. The SI piece isn't up yet but I'll try and post a link when it is.

No comments: