Sunday, March 11, 2007

The Culprit Dos

After interviewing Joe Cannon the other day, I turned my recorder off and started walking back to the parking lot. There were a few of us leaving the field at the same time and Frank Yallop was just ahead. Joe mentioned that he left Colorado with some regrets, chief among them was that he hadn't been able to lead the team to any titles. I pointed out that they'd made the conference finals in the last two years on penalty wins, in which he'd certainly been a factor.

Frank turned around quizzically, and Joe explained the topic in terms of ruing the results of the past year. Frank was commiserating, talking about arriving in Los Angeles and then having the Galaxy miss the playoffs, and lose the Open Cup final, when he noticed my recorder, which I was still holding.
He asked if it was on. I told him no, but I felt guilty that I'd even had it out, and the look on my face probably wasn't very convincing. Next thing I knew, he'd swiped the recorder out of my hand. My panicked reaction turned him apolegetic nearly instantly. He returned the machine, explaining he'd only been kidding.

No comments: