Friday, November 2, 2007

The Law's way

Chivas USA’s Lawson Vaughn has a tattoo on his left wrist that reads “Win or Die.” I asked him about it recently. I hadn’t noticed it before (can’t say I’ve had reason to study Lawson’s wrists before) so when I saw it I asked him about it.

He told me he got the acronyms from Lou Holtz’s book “Winning Every Day.”

“Win” stands for What’s Important Now.

“Die” stands for Determination Is Everything.

“That’s kind of our team motto, our mentality,” Vaughn said. “The team has really taken to it, win or die, playing at home and improving on the road, we’ve actually done that.”

Vaughn wasn’t a part of the first game in Kansas City. He was suspended after his red card in the season finale. He’ll probably start against the Wizards on Saturday, likely in his usual right back role.

Certainly playing at home will be a plus, Vaughn said.

“The guys are all focused. The guys are all committed. We expect to have three games remaining. We expect to have a huge crowd, a lot of support. Just the mentality we’re going to have in this game is going to be ‘balls to the wall’ for lack of better words.”

No comments: