Thursday, November 15, 2007

All over the world

Nice to see clubs from parts unknown get some love in SI.com's Power Rankings. Actually, Jonah Freedman does well to give love to South American and Mexican clubs when they merit it and doesn't limit his rankings to the Old World.

But this time around, Japanese and Tunisian clubs joins those from England, Spain, Italy, Mexico and Brazil in his Top 10.

Urawa Red Diamonds! No. 9! I've actually been to their grounds, the Saitama Stadium. I was there for England-Sweden in the 2002 World Cup. At the time, I didn't really know much about the Urawa Red Diamonds except what little I saw of them via season highlights at a local eatery before going to the game. I saw the highlights of their Asian Champions League matches and how all the flags raise up behind the stands and thought that was pretty cool. They seem to pack 'em in there at that stadium. Go Red Diamonds!

No comments: