Saturday, March 17, 2007

Troubled waters

The Galaxy Rios youth program looks to have run into something of an extortion threat from Coast Soccer League, at least according to one of their bigwigs, Gary Sparks.

I'm thinking that perhaps the year that David Beckham arrives isn't the best time to threaten to cut ties with the Galaxy, but what do I know? I'm not a fan of youth soccer politics, though I admire the many good people involved on that level.

Mike Woitalla's orginal article takes a more general look at the MLS youth programs.

I really wish Gary Sparks had called me back. I wanted to ask him why he wasn't giving Chivas USA, another LA-based MLS team, the same conditions as the ones he was putting on the Galaxy. Maybe that's actually part of the threat - Sparks could be implying that everyone in the CSL will become Chivas USA fans if the Galaxy don't accept his offer.

It just seems very godfatherish, the whole idea - I don't see Frank or Alexi going for it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great info. i'd love to hear more about the youth systems across the league.