Sunday, March 18, 2007

Cobi's US career

In keeping with the Cobi Jones theme of the day...

Cobi has had a spectacular USMNT career. I don't know that anyone else has had quite a storied career. He played in three World Cups, leads the US in caps, represented the US in Gold Cup, Confederations Cup and the Olympics. He was a key part of the group of players that helped bridge the gap between the a US team that was hosting its first-ever World Cup four years after qualifying to the World Cup for the first time in five decades to a team that reached the World Cup quarterfinals.

One of the Cobi goals I remember the most was in some friendly against Scotland. Don't know what year it was for sure, I'm thinking mid-90s or so, but it was a nice crack from outside the box.

As recently as 2004, Cobi was still helping the US. He assisted Brian Ching's goal in Jamaica to help the US gain a 1-1 tie in a World Cup qualifier. That essentially knocked Jamaica out of qualifying because they didn't recover well after that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember Cobi's goal against Scotland. It was a real beaut.

I believe it was in 1996.

L.B. said...

yeah, 1996 sounds about right. I know he also scored one against Mexico in the 4-0 win in D.C. I think that was also in 96 if my memory serves me correct.