Friday, February 2, 2007

Resident contrarian

I've been avoiding bringing up the topic of the SuperBowl around Luis. I mean, it was obvious who he was pulling for when he showed up in full Chicago Bears regalia to the USMNT practice the other day, causing sometime Chi Town resident Bob Bradley to comment on his gear.

"It's been over twenty years!" Luis said in response. "They've got to win."

I like Chicago. I've been to visit three times, have friends from there, and have nice memories of a free cab ride to Toyota Park at Bridgeview, on my last trip for the Open Cup final.

All that said, I don't think the Bears are going to win. I think Tony Dungy is too canny of a coach and Peyton Manning too polished of a quarterback to be denied the ring they both want so badly.

I can't really root for the Colts - I've no emotional connection to the squad. I've never been to the city. I respect their performances, however. I don't think Da Bears are taking this one.

If I'm wrong, of course, it's going to be a long road trip to Arizona, because Luis will have plenty to gloat about.

4 comments:

L.B. said...

All SI.com NFL writers picked the Colts. Many of the Chicago Trib writers picked the Colts. And now you are picking the Colts. Well, at least you are in good company.

But here's the biggest sign for me that the Bears will win. The Friday before the last time the Bears were in the Super Bowl, I was in fifth grade and the Bears won. Fast forward 21 years and the Bears are in the Super Bowl again, and on the Friday before I was in the fifth grade.

That's no coincidence.

A.C. said...

I'd like the Bears to win, which is probably the kiss of death for them, just like every TV show I actually like and watch ends up being cancelled after one or two seasons.

L.B. said...

You should start watching Criminal Minds. It's a favorite around here but I don't care much for it.

A.C. said...

I usually pick just one show to follow, because I don't want to be stuck figuring out DVR programming. This past season, it was The Nine.

I guess that means I have more time to write articles, though.