Friday, April 13, 2007

EPL dominance?

Three of the four clubs left in the Champions League are English as Manchester United, Liverpool and Chelsea are joined by AC Milan in the tournament semifinals. Clearly, then, the Premiership is the best league in the world, right?

Not so fast. SI.com colleague Gabriele Marcotti points out several reasons why that isn't necessarily true.

I agree with many of his points but perhaps the one that most rang true with me was this:

"And it receives a disproportionate amount of exposure in the global media because, worldwide, the "linga franca" remains English. Pundits of Anglo-extraction abound everywhere (though not on this Web site, which is probably a good thing) and, inevitably, they write about what they know and they do it from their own perspective."

That's one of the main reasons I think Fox Soccer Channel is nearly as good as it could be. It's all EPL talk. I don't mind the focus on European soccer but come on. The EPL takes up about 70-80 percent of each Fox Soccer Report show which is fine if you are English or like the EPL. I prefer leagues closer to me, leagues I'm more familiar with such as MLS and the Mexican first division. I'd like to see more coverage of the other big three European leagues as well but when you get in-depth analysis of Watford-Charlton... I can only stand so much of that.

3 comments:

gnupate said...

Sounds like it's time for a letter campaign to me. I'd love to see more coverage of North American games too.

I just left a comment on their feedback page at http://msn.foxsports.com/feedback
The more the merrier!

Longshoe said...

I totally agree, I'd much rather watch a mid-table MLS match than Watford-Charlton.

Besides, I enjoy La Liga on the whole more than the EPL.

Anonymous said...

I think the phrase "best in the world" means different things two different people. Does it mean better run? Does it mean better players? Does it mean gets the most media exposure?

Plus, one year is probably not enough to judge the competitive strength of the league. If English clubs have the same success for several years in a row, we can talk about a trend.

Having said that, I do think it is a very good league, with a lot of the world's best players and fast-paced exciting games.

I do agree that Fox could benefit from supplementing their EPL coverage from some La Liga, Bundesliga, Eeriedivise, or League One matches.