Friday, January 12, 2007

Me, a manager? Not quite

Awaiting me under the Christmas tree last month was a copy of Worldwide Soccer Manager. I'd asked for it but still was surprised when it appeared in my hands. I'd heard a lot about this game and wondered if it really was worth the hype.

It is. Oh, is it ever.

From the moment I figured out how to use it, I was hooked. I spent a lot of time on that game while trying to simultaneously keep my daughters from hurting each other (they're 3 and 1 and they fight a lot).

I decided to jump right in and took over managing Mexico. I was doing really well and calling up a lot of young players. Hugo Sanchez? Ha! Meet Luis Bueno. Well, I actually felt a little like Manuel Lapuente. See, I lost to Canada in a Gold Cup game. The final score was 1-0 and I was thoroughly embarrassed, much like Lapuente was when the real Mexico lost to the real Canada in the real Gold Cup, back in 2000. I was stunned and decided to start over, at the club level this time. So I took over Chivas USA, the club I feel I know the best. I wanted to start there to see if the game was accurate and try my luck at MLS.

Managing a club is preferable to a national team. You can transfer and the like. So I was enjoying my time at Chivas USA. I made it to the semifinals in my first year before losing to the Galaxy. Herculez Gomez scored two goals in extra time as my bonehead tactics cost me the game. My second season has not gone well. I am on the verge of being fired. I went with the youth movement and the youth has gone sour. I picked up a few high-priced players and they've been injured.

I haven't played the game in more than a week because it's gone to crap for me. Plus, you know, work has gotten in the way. I might try and play it some more but I could use some tips. Anyone reading this with knowledge of the game and willing to help some sad sack of a manager, help. Any pointers would be much appreciated.

No comments: