Friday, January 12, 2007

InterLiga musings

InterLiga has been a rather fun experience. Well, sort of. Going out to games again has been fun. Driving home after midnight has not. I nearly ran my car off the road twice on Wednesday when I started to fall asleep. Then, when I got home, I had one more story to write.

The lengths I go to for my readers…

Anyway, the tournament has been good. I don’t know if the soccer has been all that great or if I’m just happy to be out at Home Depot Center covering soccer again but it’s been a good tournament.

Saturday’s finals should be even better than the first two matchdays. Necaxa-Jaguares will be a wide-open game with Jaguares throwing numbers forward while Necaxa’s talented Kleber Boas will look to continue scoring goals.

America will play the nightcap. Hordes of America fans will likely be out in full force yet again. On Wednesday, the stands at HDC danced and hopped, chanted and cheered in ways not often seen there. Legion 1908 is often as lively but fall short in sheer numbers. Legion typically sets up shop in the section directly behind the goalpost to the left of the press box (northwest, southeast, don’t know… I’m horrible at directions). But America supporters filled sections on opposite sides with yellow jerseys dotting the rest of the stadium. The Riot Squad fills up a few rows in a smaller section over by the tunnel; the America supporters would have drowned them out.

I’ll be out there early and, if I were a tailgater, I’d invite people to drop by for a beer. As it stands, though, I’ll have work to do and thus the tailgating will have to wait.

No comments: