Friday, March 16, 2007

Track and Field Stadium


I tried to get a little fancy here and post pictures to get the entire field in frame but it didn't quite work out too well. Oh well.

The track and field stadium is not my favorite. I'm just not a fan of track fields. The action is too far away. Also, having the Home Depot Center so nearby makes it worse. Of course, they weren't about to play that game on the main field.

I've covered two games here, I mean two meaningful games. The Galaxy-Chivas USA Open Cup match in 2005 and the Galaxy-Dallas Roma FC Open Cup match in 2006. The first game was a logistical nightmare. They had one phone line (2005, the dark days of wifi) and I had to file something immediately after the game. So I did and by the time I went down to the field, most of the players were gone. I grabbed Arturo Torres and Francisco Mendoza and I think Steve Sampson. Everyone else worth talking to was pretty much gone.

The 2006 game was much easier, though that night I covered the game for the Dallas Morning News. They only wanted a match report and no quotes because they had a tight deadline. So I filed something for them right after the game and then took my time to talk with the Galaxy players. I don't remember everyone bolting right afterward so I don't know why they had in 05.

1 comment:

A.C. said...

Unlike Luis, I love the track and field stadium. The games there are unusually egalitarian - one ticket price for everyone. The festival seating means those who show up early are rewarded.

I like the aluminum bleachers. People start stomping on them to cheer on the team and the whole structure vibrates.

What sucks is no seperate press box section. We're just given the top row of bleachers. I lost (or had stolen) a cell phone and a mini-tape recorder there in the two games I've covered - same ones as Luis already mentioned.