Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Tame fallout

So far, it's been kinda quiet.

Here's the story I wrote for SI.com. I didn't repeat any of the quotes I used for the Press-Enterprise story, in case you were wondering.

Anyway, I got one e-mail right away which let me know that the story had been published. He said he agreed completely with the story. Another guy wasn't so positive. He said that numbers don't tell the whole story and claims that MLS clubs get their asses handed to them in Mexico because of altitude and because the games are played in the preseason. I don't know. Morelia's not that much at altitude and they had a pair of six-goal games. But then the reader spiraled out of control at the end and made no sense with his last point.

So I guess either I made good points or not many people read it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When comparing MLS - FMF results in CCC, you have to take into account the pre-season state of MLS teams. You mention it in the article, but I think it deserves a more significant treatment. These results most definitely deserve an "asterisk" next to them.

Otherwise, if you want to write an article how MLS teams get their asses handed to them every time they play Mexican teams, you also have to write how MLS is better than Chelsea and DC is better than Celtic because they beat them last summer.

Therefore, logically you have to conclude that Mexican teams are better than Chelsea...

The Manly Ferry said...

Hey Luis. I read the Press-Enterprise article and don't have a particular quibble with what you've got; so far as I'm concerned you're just saying what you're seeing and that's good enough - don't know why this is ever an issue....

But I'm curious about something else: specifically, the ranking of CONCACAF clubs that appears at the bottom of the article. I've got a two-part question on this: how did you compile the list - e.g. what factors did you consider, etc.; also, are the clubs ranked in order of puissance (whoops...dropped my thesaurus)? I went into my quibbles briefly on a post I just wrote, but I'm mainly curious about your criteria.

P.S. It'd be hunky-dory if I could trouble you to drop a comment on my site - assuming you've got the time. It'd be nice to have the explanation follow the post for purposes of one-stop viewing.

P.P.S. I'm not looking for an online debate. Your answer is what it is and I'm OK with that.

L.B. said...

Hey Manly Ferry,

I tried to post a response on your blog but i must not have done it correctly. Do you have an e-mail address where I can send it to you? Or e-mail me at lasocceredit@aol.com and give me your e-mail address.

Thanks, Luis