Friday, April 6, 2012

Galaxy-KC Leftovers

Some thoughts ahead of the Galaxy's game against Sporting KC on Saturday.

* No Beckham: David Beckham did not travel for the match. This isn't a surprise today but it was a surprise on Wednesday when we found out he wasn't at practice. I hadn't noticed him out there and turns out that was because he didn't train. Supposedly he's got a lot of different injuries although I was told it was because of rest. I don't know, this all sounds strange. After last week's game against the Revs, Arena said this about Beckham:

"Hopefully he’s ready to be part of the next game. I’m sure he’s not pleased about it."

This was, of course, after Becks was taken out at halftime of the match. Maybe Beckham isn't ready to be part of this game. Won't be the first time we'd be told one or two things and it was something completely different.

This whole season seems kind of different. Beckham's been yelling at teammates for stuff, most notably a bust-up he had with Todd Dunivant right on the field after the first half of the Galaxy's game against Toronto FC on March 14. Then there were reports of another such incident involving Marcelo Sarvas and Sean Franklin, at the half of the New England match. I don't know how injured Beckham really is.

* LD Returns: Landon Donovan will return after he joined the team for training this week and apparently deemed firt enough to travel and possibly play on Saturday. I expect him to start of course but we could see him on the bench if his quadriceps injury is not quite up to 90 minutes. Either way I expect to see him on the field at some point.

* Must-Win? I asked Bruce Arena if he thought this match was a must-win game. His response?

"A must win with 30 games left in the season? I would think not. I don’t think there’s a must-win for any team in the league because there’s 90 points left after Saturday. I don’t know how that’s a must win. Our goal is to win the game."

Well, I guess he doesn't think it's a must win.


*Lineup? My best guess: Saunders; Dunivant, De La Garza, Boyens, Franklin; Magee, Stephens, Juninho, Donovan; Buddle, Keane.


I would see Stephens in there over Sarvas simply because Sarvas looked awful against the Revs. He flat out quit on a few plays and Arena does not like that at all. Now, I would put Chad Barrett in for Edson Buddle, especially since Barrett scored two goals in a reserve game on Monday but I don't see that happening. I think Arena sticks with Buddle and Keane up top. He's not hitting the panic button yet so don't expect to see too many changes. If anything maybe we see Tommy Meyer back in there but I doubt we even see that much.


* My Pick: I had picked Sporting KC to beat the Galaxy when I published my picks on Friday morning, before word broke of Beckham not travelling. I stick with my pick (well I have to I guess). I think we'll see the Galaxy come out strong and I wouldn't be surprised to see them pull this one out but if I was betting on this one I'd bet on Sporting KC. I don't think they will have figured out how to cut down the service or defend it well enough and I think CJ Sapong and Kei Kamara will do their thing against that Galaxy backline. Kamara and Sapong are just two big bodies KC boasts and that will not play in the Galaxy's favor. Set pieces will also be key for KC and without Beckham, the Galaxy aren't quite as deadly - although Donovan and Robbie Keane do well with set pieces.

Anyway, a close one but I don't see the Galaxy breaking out of their funk.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It looked to me like LA could hardly care during the game. I guess Bruce and the boys had their dream season and now they are on cruise control. No relegation, no league table champ, you're gonna have teams taking snoozes, just like all american pro sports. yawn