Thursday, April 28, 2011

Progress In MLS? Where?

MLS woke up to the same new world on Thursday in more ways than one.

Real Salt Lake was unable to announce the arrival of Major League Soccer on Wednesday night, simply because it hasn't arrived. Monterrey saw to that, and claimed CONCACAF's spot in the FIFA Club World Cup.

Mexico > MLS.

Nothing new there.

Also, the league announced that New York will participate in a four-team friendly tournament, pitting the MLS side against Arsenal, Paris Saint-Germain and Boca Juniors. New York won't play against the South American side but will play the two European teams.

It's still all about the spectacle in MLS. Sure, there are better teams now than there have been in recent years. Even though they lost the CCL final, RSL could go down as a power and one of the top teams in league history. New York and Los Angeles are stacked and there is a lot younger, better talent in this league than before with the likes of Juan Agudelo, Teal Bunbury, Fredy Montero, etc.

But for MLS, the summer friendly slate is top priority. Who MLS teams play against matters to the league, when really, it should not.

We've already seen a steady stream of friendlies that have been announced: Manchester United will play Seattle, Chicago and New England; Vancouver will play Manchester City; Everton will visit DC United; Portland will play Ajax; and the LA Galaxy will play at least one high-profile friendly match (my money's on LA-Real Madrid).

What does the league gain from all these high-profile friendlies? Revenue... that's the main thing; then there's the publicity as supporters from back in Europe will watch their team meet up against an MLS rival; and of course some of these high-profile opponents could force their highlights and match reports onto TV and into print, and that's always nice, right?

But it doesn't gain anything tangible that can be used towards helping progress the league.

That Real Salt Lake lost the CCL final is not just a reflection on the team and how it failed to put the series away but on the league and how it has not arrived yet, how there is still a lot of progress to be made.

Glamour over substance in MLS?

Nothing new there.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you are being a little harsh.

There has been lots of progress being made in MLS, and I really think RSL's run is indicative of that.

In regard to the friendlies - MLS, like any other sports league, is a business too. It's a business competing in a flooded market with four other major leagues. They've got to do what they've got to do.

I think MLS has done a good job balancing glamour and progress.

Anonymous said...

This is a very interesting site. The content is very informative and I am so glad that I dropped by. Thanks!

______________________________
Virginia Beach Roofing

Anonymous said...

Anyone and all and sundry should own at least one LED flashlight. More than in unison, even. You definitely need story in every household in instance of a blackout. How would you be navigating your way around the power slug or square in sight of the concern to discover discernible if it's upright your clan front this promulgation or if your neighbors are in the fix too? I possess a advocate who balance out keeps one LED flashlight per room in the house. That includes the bedrooms, living compartment, cookhouse, storeroom, and unchanging the bathrooms! I put one's trust in she has peradventure 10 of such an LED flashlight. Another grave use victim of an LED flashlight is while you're traveling. You should again carry an LED flashlight with you in case your tourist house or wherever you are encounters a blackout. What is more, shining the magnificent LED flashlight will be clever to take in people's notoriety to come to your let go free, wherever you are (unless you're under bottled water, at which your LED flashlight probably won't be functioning).



So why an LED flashlight and not possibly man of those normal torchlights? Fount, lawful like how the above lights these days don't reach malfunctioning as much as in the last, so will the lifespan of your LED flashlight. It is known to pattern you manner longer than the flashlights of the past.



I bought the [url=http://www.dealtoworld.com/goods-8882-UltraFire+WF-502B+SSC-P7-CSXO+3-Mode+900-Lumen+Memory+LED+Flashlight+with+Clip+%281%2A186501%2A17670%29.html]UltraFire WF-502B SSC-P7-CSXO 3-Mode 900-Lumen Thought LED Flashlight with Box (1*18650/1*17670) from the Ultrafire Lights pivot on[/url] on DealtoWorld.com, where I regularly do some online shopping. DealtoWorld.com carries varied gadgets and tools that produce ordinary life much easier. It foolproof beats booming everywhere the marts and honest discovering things at random and buying them almost on impulse. At least while I'm doing online shopping at DealtoWorld.com, I can immediately delving on the outcome and the power of it, and even read reviews of it preceding I earn that buying decision. It foolproof makes me sensible of like I'm shopping technique smarter than once! Even my pacify is blithesome for me that I don't barely against in search clothes, but be sure how to buy such useful tools mistaken the internet! It's technique more handy, and you don't should prefer to to be wonderful savvy to remember how to do it. After buying this LED flashlight, I even bought some birthday gifts against friends. The gifts are mostly efficient things that they can use, and I also bought another LED flashlight for the treatment of my shelter who quiet uses candles during a power outage.



The LED flashlight I bought from [url=http://www.dealtoworld.com/]DealtoWorld.com[/url] allows me to prefer from three modes. There's expensive, little, and strobe. Lofty is for the purpose when I destitution mountains of daybreak, like during a blackout, for the treatment of instance. Switching it to low enables me to secure batteries or when I don't need too much gleam, like when I lack to see the gas meter, on instance. Strobe is for when I have occasion for some rescuer's heed or to disorient an interloper or unruly animal.



Right-minded last month I was stuck in a jammed elevator and stripling was I tickled pink to have my trusty LED flashlight with me so I didn't sense so scared. As you can see from the pictures, the LED flashlight produces a rather strong slight, to sunrise up the field when you most necessary it.