Friday, August 14, 2015

Stevie's Thoughts

I wondered what Steven Gerrard thought about getting to the Galaxy fairly recently and getting asked so many questions about his new teammate, Gio Dos Santos. 
Steven Gerrard in Los Angeles


Turns out, he doesn't mind much at all. 

I was very pleased for him. He was desperate to get out there, onto the pitch. His debut went perfect. Good team performance and he came on and contributed at the end with a goal.

I’m just pleased and smiling that the deals over the line and he’s an LA Galaxy player. I want to form a good relationship with him. I’m excited for him.

I think he’ll adapt a lot quicker than me. He’s used to the climate. He knows the guys better than I do. I’m sure he’ll settle in very quickly and play in good performances with the team. I’m pleased for him. When I heard the news he was coming, I made contact with him. We were both very happy with the pickup.


So Gerrard clearly doesn't mind answering Gio questions. At least, not nearly as much as he minds the extreme weather conditions in some places in MLS. Dan Gargan, his LA Galaxy defender teammate, had a bit of fun with him about dealing with that. 

Stevie’s first two road games were in Houston and Colorado. Dealing with that humidity and then that altitude - after the Colorado game, he was wondering where we were playing next. I told him we’re playing on Mars next. That’s indicative of some of the situations we have to deal with in this league, with the travel and the environments. Seeing that in two of your first three weeks was probably a bit eye-opening, because those are two of the tougher places to play. Dallas will be another one. Might was well see them all early and get them out of the way.

Gio, obviously has played in heat plenty of times. That’s probably tougher on Stevie than it will be on Gio, but still, it’s a tough place to play. Some of that travel and flying three hours, and then playing a game the next day, it’s not easy either. It won’t be easy for either of them, because as far as I know, they’ve never had to deal with that before.

Gerrard seemed to agree that he found the transition difficult.

Houston was wild. That was certainly a big learning curve for me. We spoke about the challenges in the press conference and I said I’d give it my best and that’s what I’ve done.

Yet, though Dallas won't be easy, Gerrard was optimistic about all the games ahead for the Galaxy, especially now with Gio on board.

We can both help each other, on the pitch and off it as well. I said when I signed that all the players and the staff at LA Galaxy made me feel so welcome. I’m sure Gio’s feeling the same. The important thing is that all the players are available. When I signed, we had players in the Gold Cup, some injuries, and we were still trying to get Gio over the line. Now everyone’s fit and available, ready to fight for the team. I think we can go on a winning streak now and become a real force.

For more on how Gio's LA teammates are adjusting to him joining the team - read this!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I really like what you wrote about the Galaxy and the issue you chose to address regarding the player's relationships on the team. I feel that Steve Gerrard's response was very reassuring of the status of the team's relations and how they are adjusting to Gio's arrival. I wonder how factual his response was regarding the teams dynamics? Regardless, I felt that Gerrard branded both himself and the team well by suggesting this positive, supportive, and inclusive environment. Had he answered the question differently or expressed some sort of tension between players, do you think the fan base and image for both Gerrard and the other players would change at all?

Unknown said...

I really like what you wrote about the Galaxy and the issue you chose to address regarding the player's relationships on the team. I feel that Steve Gerrard's response was very reassuring of the status of the team's relations and how they are adjusting to Gio's arrival. I wonder how factual his response was regarding the teams dynamics? Regardless, I felt that Gerrard branded both himself and the team well by suggesting this positive, supportive, and inclusive environment. Had he answered the question differently or expressed some sort of tension between players, do you think the fan base and image for both Gerrard and the other players would change at all?