Thursday, May 23, 2013

German Champions!

I do speak a little German - basically enough to ask for directions, order food and greet people. So I didn't write this in German.

But I did write it, and it basically sums up my thoughts on the Champions League.  


It's funny how the world works. When I was in Peru in 2005, about the last player I interviewed there was a sad-faced Neven Subotic, who was pretty crushed about his role in the USA's exit at the U17 World Cup. I wouldn't have guessed I'd be watching the kid eight years later in a Champions League final, but I'll say this. I knew even at the time that he took the game seriously. He was pretty focused. 




As for what I said in my excellent German, here's what I sent in to be translated: 



Some might say that the Bayern Munich v Borussia Dortmund final of the Champions League signals a new sporting era of German efficiency over Spanish art. I'd say that both of the finalists have raised athletic efficiency to an art form. I also don't think the style developed in Spain is dead. Instead, it now has some really viable competition. While it's always fun to see an international mix in the finals, the Champions League format has generally yielded the two most deserving clubs and a country derby has the extra bite of bitter familiarity. Prediection: Bayern Munich 2-1 Borussia Dortmund

1 comment:

A.C. said...

Ahem, I was right on my prediction. . .