Mexico lost to Honduras 2-1 in a Gold Cup game today. I just filed my SI.com story analyzing what went wrong for El Tri today.
Don't worry. I took them to task.
ADD: Okay, here's the story. It's been up for a while but I haven't gotten the chance to get back here until now.
Some of the things I mentioned in the story and some other thoughts about the game:
- Mexico has played eight games under Hugo Sanchez. They've had exactly one shutout.
- Mexico had its big guns out there against Honduras and they all fired blanks.
- Often, Mexico is the aggressor and when they lose, Mexican supporters claim it's because teams are scared and they just sit back and try for counters. Honduras did not sit back for a second. They didn't sit back in the first minute nor did they sit back in the 90th minute.
- The red card didn't matter. Honduras was bound to score anyway.
- This is a bad loss but Mexico has time to recover. Three days actually.
- Somewhere, I've got to believe that Ricardo Lavolpe is smiling.