Sunday, April 29, 2007

Work night

Before yesterday's game started, I wanted to close my laptop and enjoy the first half. I wasn't expecting two goals in the first 17 minutes. By the 30th minute, I was busy writing away.

For the second half, I had plenty to write about as Amado Guevara was taken out rather early and then Chivas scored. I thought we might have a repeat of last year when the game went from Chivas lead, tie game and Galaxy lead within a matter of 10 minutes, completely throwing off my stories. But Cobi Jones made sure I would file on deadline when he scored in the 78th minute.

So during the last 15 minutes or so, I was mostly writing my PE story and my MLSnet.com match report. Usually, I have to send both stories when the final whistle sounds and last night was no different. When the referee raised his arm and ended the match, I sent my first story to the Press-Enterprise, sent my second story to MLSnet.com and made my way down to the locker rooms.

I sat in on Preki's press conference, then went to the Chivas USA locker room. I didn't have the chance to sit in on Frank Yallop's post-game press conference which is why I only have audio clips of Chivas people. My brother Danny Bueno who writes for MLSnet.com and has a day job outside of soccer helped me out with Galaxy quotes and he got some good stuff for me (on an aside, that lucky punk has tickets for Coachella today!).

When I returned, I added some quotes to the PE story and re-sent it, then wrote another completely different story for MLSnet.com. I had a relatively light night - only four stories. Still, everybody cleared out early as usual. Andrea and I were the last to leave, and she had stories to finish once she got home.

2 comments:

A.C. said...

You're ratting me out on the fact that I write slowly, Luis. :(
It's true, generally. I'm getting better, though.

L.B. said...

I write faster, you write slower.

My stories are solid, your stories are distinguished, your prose elegant. It's a bit of a tradeoff.